ShAlL wE ShOP???


I was passing by the Arrow outlet in Indiranagar when I caught the glimpse of the most beautiful thing I have seen since a long time and I instantly fell in love with it. It was a white and a black dress and I knew I had to have it.  I took it to the changing room and as soon as I put it on, I was possessed. It was a feeling that something has taken a hold on me and compelling me to hand over my credit card to the gentleman, that too with a feeling of having won a lottery.   

Like exercise is to body and reading to mind, shopping is to heart (especially to women). In the words of Erma Bombeck, “Shopping is a woman thing. It's a sport like football. Women enjoy the scrimmage, the noisy crowds, the danger of being trampled to death, and the ecstasy of the purchase.” If people think that ‘women are too materialistic and indulge in shopping’, I request them to rephrase the statement cause shopping is truly an emotional thing. Shopping is about attachment- we are instantly attached to the whole range of items available in stores ranging from a beautiful piece of accessory to a vintage gown.  It’s about negotiation- we scream, shout or even flirt with an ugly salesperson with whom we will not even spare our smiles otherwise.  It’s about victory –the feeling of winning a battle after we are able to get the best thing on sale. It’s also about tragedy- when we are forced to control our urge to buy things for some petty issues like ‘Money’.

I don’t know how men keep themselves happy despite the fact that they don’t indulge in shopping.  I have never seen a guy jump or scream after finding the perfect pair of shoes. I have never seen them being possessed by any products (except the cool gadgets) although we gals refer every one out of ten things in the store as ‘cute’ (Yes, we use the word even for the good looking guys!!!). Whenever I go out shopping with my boyfriend, the only place that he is actually happy to shop is the ‘Imagine Store’ otherwise I hardly see the passion in his eyes when he shops. I can’t understand this. I mean, I would never go to a store like Imagine which has so less items in display (there are hardly ten-fifteen items in total). For me, higher the variety of product; higher is the shopifaction i.e. shopping satisfaction. (OMG, did I just invent a new word, I should immediately write to the Oxford Collins dictionary)

We, gals are often criticised for having 100 of things in our closet that we have never used and might not use in future too.  But, the other way of looking it can be, we have 100 of things that are new and can be donated to the people in need ;).  Also, it’s better to let your wife/girlfriend spend a few bucks in shopping than having to eat a burnt food for dinner or being shouted at for watching cricket all day long. Shopping is like buying peace of mind. The person who wrote that ‘The person who said that money can’t buy happiness did not know where to shop’ is infact a genius. So, what do you say, Shall we Shop?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Love!

Believe

Life in 3D